Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Pet Peeves

This is the time I like to take to rant about things that bug me. I have been keeping this rant under my hat for quite a while because some of my co-workers read my old blog so I wasn't free to express myself. You see, this rant involves them.

I take pride in my work, striving to produce the best quality I can while still doing my best to be a productive employee. One of my co-workers believes his value to the company lies in the fact that he can out-produce everyone else. He does that by using methods that makes things harder on his fellow co-workers, producing inferior products, and skirting company policies on dating.

A good example of this is in the making of some of our specialty items. I take the time to measure the ingredients according to the recipes provided us while the other guy eyeballs his ingredients. I could write twenty or thirty pages on the irritating things this guy does and the short cuts he takes just so he can brag about how fast he is but I won't. sometimes I get so frustrated with some of the things this man does wish I could afford to quit.

In case one of you may be thinking I am just expressing my dislikes because he is the number one guy and I am his back-up, suffice it to be know that all of my co-workers feel the same about his work as I do and everyone assistant that has come through our market (we are the training store so that number is quite substantial) has attempted to talk the manager into making me the number one guy. No "because the other guy is faster" is the reply.

I suppose the way the manager looks at things, he is the more profitable cutter.

Suppose he cuts $2000 worth of product of which 10% gets marked down and I cut $1600.00 worth of product of which only 4% gets marked down, I actually made more net profit for the company but he put more dollars through on the sales side and our bonuses are figured on % of sales and not profit dollars.

I guess he cuts enough passable meat so everyone can find a descent piece for their family and the bagin hunters can always get their discount. But I look at the long range picture and believe the key to building a business is customer satisfaction and doing a good job consistently.

No comments: