Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It Isn't what It Is

I was hungry for some Oriental food and I was in Asheboro the other day so i decided it was about time I stopped and get some. I saw this place called the Hibacci Grill and not knowing anything about it, I decided to take a chance. The selection was good and the food okay but I was surprised to see a pan of meat labelled "Prime Rib."

The meat had been cut into 3" x 3" chucks about an inch or so thick and displayed in a pan of some sort of liquid. I've never seen prime rib displayed in such a manner before so I decided to try a piece although I was skeptical of the signs claim. I had every right to be.

In my professional opinion. the beef, and it was beef, was chuck. Chuck has an unmistakable flavor and is stringy and tends to be dry is overcooked. It is best served a little pink but that is hard to maintain on a buffett line.

Prime rib differs from a rib eye in thatg it is cooked as a roast so only the outside is browned and when sliced, the meat is a bright pink. If overcooked, it will tough but not become dry like chuck does.

I know now why the pan was still full even though it was after the normal 11-2 lunch crowd had finished eating.

Will I go back to Hibachi Grill? The price was reasonable: For all one can eat plus drink, the bill was like $10 and some change. The food was fair. I would have to be in one of those moods where nothing but chinese food will satisfy me and I am already in Asheboro, and have to other place to go to satify my cravings to consider it.

No comments: