Friday, March 02, 2018

Saving money on shaving

  The modern day three and four blade razor blades are fabulous for smooth and comfortable shaves but they are also expensive.  My blades say to change every two weeks but I know some who change blades after three shaves.  Ouch.  If you have plenty of money that's fine but I'd rather save mine for something I want or need instead of financing the lifestyle of the rich and famous.
  The secret is baby oil.  I was told the secret was keeping ones blade dry and I tried that but after 30 days I needed to change my blade.  Then I started coating the blade with baby oil and that helped the blade last up to six weeks.  Sometimes I would get 5 or 6 weeks per blade but not normally.  Then I hit upon the idea of the baby oil soak.
    Coating the blade with baby oil had one big drawback and that was gravity as over time the oil drained off the blade.  I took an old travel soap dish (one can be picked up at a dollar store or Walmart for cheap) and filled it half way with baby oil and just let my razor soak in it.  The oil couldn't drain off and I actually used much less baby oil than before.  I got twelve months of smooth and comfortable shaves.  I just changed blades on March 1 and took my first shave today and my old razor blades were just as comfortable and shaved as well as the new blades.

No comments: