Saturday, January 19, 2019

Looking forward to the summer garden

  I cut down all but two of my apple trees as they had been ravaged by cedar apple rust for years and I could never find the proper solution.  The lone Fuji apple tree is a beautiful tree that shows little sign of infection and the other apple tree is a Granny Smith which is needed to pollinate the Fuji apple tree.
  I also cut down all my grape vines.  Only one of the four produced edible fruit but I never learned the art of getting enough grapes on a cluster to ripen  at the same time.  I had to pick a few grapes each day and then I would go out to the vines and all would be gone.  Two vines had small grapes that never ripened.  My blackberries grew beside my grape vines but wild vines and briars started taking over the thorn less blackberries so I eliminated all of them.  I may begin again with blackberries and grapes in a more convenient location or maybe not.
   I do know that I will concentrate more on flowers this year and cut way back on my tomato plants.  As much as I love tomatoes, I do suffer from high blood pressure and one needs salt to fully enjoy a tomato.  I'll grow peppers (sweet and hot), and beets and greens and forgo the rest.  Still, I like to be outside growing things.    

No comments: