Saturday, July 13, 2019

Old Employer now in Trouble

  My first job was for a small grocery store which is no longer in business.  My second job was for an industrial supply company which is no longer in business.  My next job was for a drug store that was the third largest in the nation at that time.  It is no longer in business.  In high school I worked for a box making company that in now defunct as well as two different newspapers which are no longer in business.
  I once got a job for a department store and was filling out my paperwork when the announcement was made that the company had been sold and the store where I was to begin work was to be closed.  I then took a job in a car dealership which no longer exist.  I worked for one grocery chain that doesn't exist anymore as well as another big pharmacy which went out of business also.  My last employer, while still operating under the name it used when I worked for them has been sold to another company.
  Another company I once worked for is now listed as companies that may soon cease to exist.  I was shocked when I read that it was because they were so deeply into debt and the amount of interest they paid on that debt was staggering.  The reason I was shocked was because when I worked for them they had no debt and didn't believe in debt.  They could buy a hundred or more competitors at a time and pay cash and be turning a profit within a year, recouping all their remodeling costs, even while cutting sales in half because they operated so efficiently.  I have no idea why or when they started borrowing money.  I suppose it was when the company ridded itself of the  founders and original management team that made the company so successful.
  Sometimes it just isn't profitable to mess with success.

No comments: