Thursday, January 15, 2009

I having a blogging friend, Dr. J, whose blog I have been reading for years. I was one of her earliest and most ardent supporters and while others were calling her "wack-job" and other uncomplimentary things, I was researching her claims and found her credible.

One of her biggest complaints has been the practice of some bloggers, especially those from Greensboro, to insult those they disagree with, even for things as small as a typo.

I can understand questioning a person's intelligence if they wrote "physical year" in reference to "fiscal year" or referred to the weight of a precious stone as a "carrot" instead of caret.

I would never send off a manuscript or file a report with typos of any description in it but I have read many a newspaper story, blog, and even published novels with typos, mistaken facts, and the wrong tense of a word used and I certainly didn't question the intelligence of the author. Mistakes happen, even under the best of circumstances, and we must learn to be tolerate of that.

Sometimes these mistakes are due to haste and sometimes that are due to efforts being put forth that a lessor person might find too difficult to attempt so one should not always be too quick to judge. It might be the post might have been written in haste or the typos could have been added for a reason (sometimes humor, sometimes a double meaning, i.e. "delikious" instead of delicious in describing a food dish to indicate the food was beyond good but licking food as in finger licking good, or licking the bowl good)

When a person makes typos, uses the wrong word of phrase, or obviously can't spell, one still needs to be shown respect. If you understand what the person is talking about then all is fine. If you don't, then point out that the ideas are not clear to you and suggest that they choose words that more properly convey the proper meaning, etc. Calling the writer derogatory names does nothing to clarify the meaning or to foster good relationships. Putting people down doesn't make one a better person.

My blogger friend. Dr. J was singing the praises of another blogger, one who had been denied a pardon by our former governor, saying what a nice person he was. I was curious about two things: First and foremost, what made this guy such a super person? and secondly, why did he need and deserve a pardon from Gov. Easley?

Over the years, Dr. J has made some enemies and had made some friends. She is outspoken and pulls few punches. No one has drawn the personal praise to the degree that this particular blogger did so I visited his site and read his story of why he wanted a pardon. I am a firm believer in giving people second changes. That's what I have been blogging about and writing about for years.

I have worked hard to get criminal charges reduced or dropped so that a person can have a chance to make good on their desire to live a descent life, to change or way of dealing with certain criminal acts so a person receives the help they need instead of being continually trapped in a vicious cycle of crime, addiction, and incarceration. I have been successful on behalf of numerous people.Unfortunately, most have failed to live up to the second chance I had worked so hard to gain for them but not all have squandered the opportunities.

I read the man's blog and wrote a quick response to it. The man didn't like my opinion, which is his right, and quickly told me so by replying to me with insults and name calling. His attacks on me were akin to turning a pit bull loose on a three year old with the clear intent to hurt my feelings and make me go away rather than explore the possibility that the way he presented himself may be the reason he didn't get his pardon.

Honestly, I don't have the high regard for this man that Dr. J does. I don't think he cares.

One should be careful who one insults though. He might have insulted the new Governor's brother. Maybe should think about that for awhile. Maybe he should should be thankful his attempt at arson failed and his arrest served to free him from his drug addiction. Think of the sweet girl from Greensboro who is serving a life sentence after she set a couch on fire as a prank. There are some really nice people in prison who could use a break. I'm sure there are some innocent in jail too. I'm sure they would love a break.

Gov. Easly pardoned no one. This man asked the Governor to forgive him of drug addiction and attempted arson. I only ask to be forgiven for a typo. Instead, I got insults.

You decide. Is the blogger a supper nice guy and one of the most descent human beings around?

12 comments:

Dr Mary Johnson said...

Dale, with all fairness, I think you hit a nerve (with a comment that you admit was written quickly - and was, quite frankly, a bit blunt and not-at-all reflective of the man I know you to be). I also think that Jeff's response was impulse. He was wounded by what you said, and he lashed back.

It took a lot of courage for Jeff to blog on this subject. He had actually asked for my help with the pardon (which he knew was a very long shot). I advised him that, from what I knew of the Governor, it was probably not a good idea for me to write anything on his behalf. As you say, I've pulled no punches - and many of them have been directly at Mike Sleazely.

It's very frustrating to know that, in the great state of North Carolina, the needs and requests of citizens are not reasoned out on the merits - and that hope can be dashed upon the petty grudges of our leaders. I sincerely doubt that Mike Easely gave more than a passing snub to any of the pardon requests that landed on his desk.

I was appalled at the exchange between the two of you - it was not not at all what I would have expected.

I think Jeff paid his debt to society. I think he's turned his life around. In moving on, he has had to leave a career that he loves behind. I think he is a very good, thoughtful writer - as you are.

I also think he's gotten a raw deal - both from both the N&R, and a sick/warped cyberstalker in Reidsville.

I think (from reading both of your blogs) that the two of you have more in common than you think.

And I still have a high opinion of both of you.

And OBTW, thanks for finding me "credible";)

dsprl2000 said...

It's been awhile since I read his story but I believe he said he had 42 letters written on his behalf. The man in California who received a pardon there had 345 letter written in his behalf and was the result of a multi-year effort.

I lost a promising career to serve my country during war time and he lost his to a criminal act that he himself committed. No state was willing to cut me slack so I could afford to finish my college education and I was fired from jobs just because I expressed an interest in going back to school.

I gave the man a chance to prove he was better than most and I think he failed the test.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.