Friday, June 20, 2014

Supporting others is not a detriment to ones finances

     I read an advise column the other day on bad habits that lead to financial ruin and one of them was having a soft heart and contributing to charities.  That must not be true as Americans have been and still are among the wealthiest people and also among the most generous. 
    Most of my life I have struggled financially and when I started going to church on a regular bases my wife didn't think we could contribute but we did anyway.  I believe she finally became convinced that not only tithing but giving beyond what is required is a good thing.  Currently our giving level is at 15% of our income.  I am on Social Security and she draws a disability check from her traumatic brain injury.  We paid all her medical bills in full, paid off our car, purchased another vehicle for cash, paid off all of our other bills, put on a new roof and built a porch cover over our front porch, and now are replacing our living room carpet with flooring and have more money in the bank than we did when my wife had her aneurysm.  I have discovered that a person cannot out give God.   
   

No comments: