Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Revival services at One Way Baptist

  Danny Castle from the Morganton area is the guest speaker at One Way Baptist.  Although I am the longest attending active member of the church having missed only a couple of services (not Sunday morning services but all services of the church) my pastor and I have very different tastes when it comes to "good preaching".  It seems the louder and more flamboyant a speaker is the more holy our preacher thinks he is.  Flaying od the arms, hacking, and screaming at the top of ones lungs does nothings to enhance a mans message.  Granted, these types of preachers can generate excitement and garner a lot of whops and hollers  but rarely have anything of substance to say.  The ones I dislike the most are the ones that have speech impediments that make them hard to understand.  It seems though that this type of preacher is the type preferred by my pastor and it also seems the more animated, the louder, and the worse the speech  impediment the better the preacher likes it. 
  I will agree that a message should be delivered with a degree of enthusiasm so that time seems to fly by and your interest held but I also think the message should have a beginning, a body and an ending and to have gone somewhere.  Some preachers can spew out well worn phrases for an hour and never actually make a point.  One preacher carried two handkerchiefs, one in each hand, and wiped his face constantly as he spoke, using one hanky to swipe his brow and the other to wipe his lips.  He would start on his cheek wipe down and the across his lips and then down to his chin.  He has the required speech impediment   and wiping his lips made it impossible to understand what he was saying.  That made for a long evenings  and to be subjected to that night after night was a little more than one soul could bear. 
  I have been looking forward to this weeks revival services with dread especially since the preacher seemed to be so excited about the proposed preacher.  It would be a big shock to everyone at the church if I wasn't there but I had already informed my wife that if this preacher was anything like the last three preachers that had been booked for our revival services I was staying in Hickory and not coming back until all the work there was done and I was serious when I said that. 
  I was pleasantly surprised last night.  Danny Castle is one of the best speakers I've heard in a long time.  I will be back tonight.  

No comments: