Sunday, July 24, 2016

It's a battle

For years I was able to control my diabetes with a proper diet but eventually I went on metformin.  A few years ago I went on insulin for 3 months but was able to come off it and go with just metformin again.  But after a year my doctor added glipizide to my regimen  but after a couple of years I had to go back on insulin.  The first time I used insulin I gained 33 pounds and never did lose any one it so when I had to go back on insulin again I was afraid of gaining weight.

  So far I've managed to lose 9 pounds (It's been a bout two months now).  Yesterday I suffered my first bout with low blood sugar and it felt horrible.  Last night I gave into my urge for an unhealthy snack (six wheat crackers, a spoonful of peanut butter and a spoonful of jelly).  Yea, it was a nasty tasting snack and my blood sugar reading was way to high as a result. 

  Eating so as to not spike ones blood sugar or let it drop too quickly and all the while controlling ones weight is extremely difficult, especially since taking insulin makes one feel hungry all the time.  I'm not talking about just wanting something to eat but "feeling like your stomach is sucked up against your backbone" hungry. 

No comments: