Monday, July 11, 2016

Dallas

     What happened in Dallas is tragic but all murders are tragic.  I understand why some white policemen are quicker to shoot a black suspect that a white one.  There is a lot of animosity and mistrust between the races.  When integration happened fifty years ago it was hoped by many that by going to school together blacks and whites would learn to respect each other, that eventually all neighborhoods would be mixed neighborhoods, and we would come to view each other as fellow Americans but it is obvious that the tension between the races is just as strong today as it was 50 years ago. 
  Back when CB radios were popular among motorists it became obvious that people don't know how to handle problems.  Disagreements quickly developed into arguments and name calling and the usual results were two angry people and unresolved problems.  Forty years later when people have differences of opinion on the internet many times it results in name calling and two angry people.  If we go into a discussion with the attitude that I'm right and the other person is wrong and it is my job to convince the other person of this fact then we are always going to have disagreements that decay into name calling and angry people. 
   Yea, there are lots of things I don't understand about black people.  I don't understand do-rags, and the cocky way of walking, and the slang they use or why many talk so loud.  I don't understand why s's are dropped off words that need them and added to words that don't.  And what is this doe that they keep opening and closing?  I am beginning to think it is a door but they never say so.  I'm sure there are lots of things that blacks don't understand about whites to. 
   When a person dresses different, walks different, talks different, and acts different, a person tends to be cautious around that person.  I don't care how white a person is, if that person has a face full of tattoos and wears punk clothes I'm going to be leery of them.  Same goes if they are big strong biker types, or little skinny goth creatures.  And what is with the saucers in the ear lope thing.  Gross me out. 
  All that being said, the nicest people I encounter  are young black males.    They are respectful and helpful and always a surprise but not because that are black men but because in todays day and age   rudeness is expected along with selfishness and one is always taken back by random acts of kindness and by that I don't mean paying for someone lunch as a person gets recognition for that but just common everyday courtesies that are not common anymore. 
    If a person presents themselves to the world as a descent, trust worthy individual then they will be accepted but it the impression they give is of a ghetto gansta or a piece of redneck white trailer trash then don't expect me to be anything but cautious around you. 
  As far as the police are concerned, they are jerks to everyone so don't feel privileged.  I've been handcuffed several times and even carted off to jail once and didn't even come close to breaking a law.  A sergeant with the High Point police stole $20.00 from me and a couple of Greensboro cops accused me of being a drug addict and refused to give me the assistance I needed and desired.  One has to remember that people get angry when stopped by the police so much of the interaction police have with people are with antagonistic people.  It's would make anyone leery of a person's intentions when all you receive from most folks is bad attitude. 
   I've been stopped several times when I should not have been but I always remain calm and cooperative.  The police appreciate it.  I keep my insurance and registration papers in a little folder that  is easy to get to without having to open a glove box or search for.  I stay still until the cops approaches, and I keep him informed if I have to reach for anything.  Even when I know the cop is wrong, I'm never show any emotion because I know I will have my day in court if it comes to that. 
  What I want you to take away from this article is that if you want to fit into my world then act like you fit into my world.  If you don't then don't be shocked or angry because I treat you different.  And most importantly,  if you are respectful, understanding, and cooperative with the police then all should go well and end well. 
  When you see things different from another, find the things you and they can agree on and listen as they explain to you the things that you disagree on.  Maybe you will learn to be accepting of their point of view, maybe, you will learn to understand there thought process better and maybe you will still be on opposite sides.  But if you treated them with respect maybe they will learn to be more understanding and tolerant of you.

No comments: