Saturday, September 16, 2017

Most Americans are more racists than they think

  The article on MSN did not go into a great amount of detail as to who took the survey  but from the recap it seems that it is a measurement of white peoples views.  All of us, regardless of skin color are racists.  We all feel more comfortable around people that look like we do, share the same beliefs we do, and are close to us in age, background, income levels, etc.  The most segregated place in America is the Church who teaches that love loved us all.
  I watch TV and see how Steve Harvey interacts with guests on his shows.  Blacks make of 50% of the contestants on Family Feud yet only 15% of Americans are black so I know racism goes both ways but Americans are afraid to call people like Steve Harvey out.  But that is no justification for white people to continue to prejudge someone because of their race.  Still, as fair as I try to be, reality has a way of smacking one upside the head.
  In my immediate area, all the known crime has been committed by my black neighbors.  When showing looters in Florida they were all black,  But if you decorate yourself with body piercings and tattoos and wear your underwear above your britches, I don't care what color you are, I'm not going to be your friend.
  If you assume I don't like you because I'm white and you aren't, then who is racists?  When I worked at a convenience store I had a black man   accuse me of watching him and believing that I thought he might be a thief because he was black.  I told him I wasn't concerned about him because he had prepaid with a credit card.  I was watching the bikini clad women at pump nine but not because she was in a bikini but because she did not prepay, she was young, and that is the pump drive-offs like to go.  Once there was  a black man, mid forties, and a black woman, in her 20's came into the store at the same time, seemed to shop together, and came to the register at the same time.  Both put their purchases on the counter at the same time.  I asked "Is this all together?" and the man accused me of being a racist "you just assume that all black people know each other" he complained.
  I remember one black fellow complaining that white people would not sit near black people at the coliseum. " Why don't you get up and go sit with them"   I asked.  Just because someone does not act the way you expect them to or want them to
   I cannot judge who you are on the inside.  I can only see the side of you that you present to the world and if that picture isn't attractive don't get mad at me.
  The problem is not that we are prejudiced, for we all are, but the problem is that we chose to act on our prejudices at times when we should not.  None of us has the right to harm another person no matter how we feel about that person.  

No comments: