Friday, February 02, 2018

He broke into an occupied car.

  Yesterday my son went to his car on his lunch hour and took a seat in the passenger side.  While relaxing a stranger broke into the car,  Both my son and the stranger were startled,  My son did get a description of the mans car but no tag number as his car was sporting a temporary tag.  One of my sons Facebook friends suggested that if that had occurred in Arizona the thief would have been shot as a high percentage of people in Arizona carry weapons.  If that be true I doubt that the chances of getting to ones gun before the thief could have gotten away are slim to none and if one shot a person after they began to flee the scene then that would be a serious crime.  If the average person in Arizona carry weapons then perhaps the thief would have been an average person and it is more likely he would have shot the victim before the victim could have retrieved his weapon.
  I am not anti-gun but I am against people who have the attitude that "if I had a weapon it is easy to make the bad people go away and I'd be the hero".  The truth is that the victim who has a weapon probably will never have the opportunity to use it. might have his weapon taken from them and used against them, or will face serious legal problems if they actually fire their weapon.
   In my son's case there is no circumstance that he could have legally shot the thief.  No weapon was seen by the victim, his life or well-being was not threatened, and the thief immediately fled the scene.  The death penalty is not an option for petty theft for the courts and it should not be an option for the citizenry.
  I believe my sons actions were proper and appropriate  Gun ownership does not entitle one to be the judge, jury, and executioner.

No comments: