Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Death Pond

I have two water ponds. The smaller one sits above the larger one and gives the appearance of flowing into the larger one. This spring I discovered only three of my five fish in the small pond made it through the winter and last week I discovered two of those were not doing well so I transferred them to the larger pond and bought 10 feeder goldfish to replace them with. All ten died within two days.

Last year three birds drowned in the pond along with several frogs, including one that tried to consume a bird, which frogs aren't supposed to do.

I am planning on having the water tested to determine if there is a water problem.

I put up a bluebird house a few weeks ago and a bluebird family quickly moved in and before long there were eggs, or maybe just one egg, I'm not sure but there was only one baby bluebird. Yesterday the parents kicked baby out but it was too scarred to fly so I picked it up and placed it back in the nest.

Today when the electricians came to wire my shed I discovered the baby bluebird in my trench so I put it back in the nest again and was promptly attacked by one of the parents. I hoped all would be well, at least until after the workmen were finished. But alas (yes I really used the word alas) the baby was again kicked out of the nest.

It was the lasted victim of the pond of death.

No comments: