Thursday, April 18, 2013

Apple blossoms and peaches

I have a Georgia white which is now 4 years old, 2 eastern yellows that are 3 years old and an unknown variety that is just beginning its 2nd year of growth.  The unknown peach tree was started from seeds I procured from a friend of the owner of an Arkansas peach orchard.  The tree is over 8 feet tall and is twice as large as the older peach trees.  I understand the peaches are supposed to be phenomenal so i can hardly wait until they are large enough and ripe enough to eat.  The first year they had two little peaches but they fell off during a late spring cold spell we had last year.  The peaches from the other trees didn't get large enough to eat.  I'm hoping for something good this year. 

I have other peach trees I started from seed.  Peaches grow fast and I have had several that bore plenty of peaches their first year if planted in good soil.  Starting them from seed is easier if you plant the kernel only.  Just let the seed dry out, cut the edges off with pruning shears and then crack open. 

I started all my apple trees from seed too and most are four years old.  I've had trouble with cedar rust but I've learned how to deal with that problem so this year all the trees are beautiful.  I even have two that have blooms.  But the only apple trees that made it are Fuji and they are non pollinators so I have to have a crap apple tree or the right kind of apple tree that is a pollinator. 

My crap apple tree just isn't old enough to pollinate my apple trees and may not be for several more years so today I set out in search of a Granny Smith.  I checked with several retail outlets and a couple of nurseries with no luck.  I did find one at Southern States and although they are more expensive than many other places I purchased the tree from them.  It is in bloom too.  I doubt that I will have apples this year but next fall I'm looking forward to the first fruits from  my apple trees.  At least the blooms have a sweet fragrance. 

I have three cherry trees.  The middle one had blooms on it last year and now another has lots of blooms.  I don't know if I'll get cherries but the trees are doing fine. 

My grape vines are really budding out and the started vines are still green; most of them are anyway.  I did buy three Catawba Reds just in case the ones I tried to start from cuttings don't make it. 

I finally have my garden planted.  I have potatoes, onions (sweet and Valhalla) beets, radishes, kale, green beans (3 rows), cucumbers, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and Anaheim peppers, and tomatoes.  I also planted moon flowers (a 24 ft run) on the opposite side of the grape trellis and two sunflower gardens.   

The only bad thing today was the stock market.  I lost another $135.00.  I hope this isn't the start of another long slide into recession.

No comments: