Monday, April 15, 2013

One Way Baptist Completed project





I started in the fall of 2011 with a set of loppers and a maddox and a small hand saw.  The land was overgrown with vines as thick as a mans waist and sixty feet long, briar's, fallen trees, bushes that were springing up like grass, and a general assortment of other vines and weeds.  There were broken bricks, car tires, auto parts and old outhouse parts scattered throughout the lot.  I had no money and the church had no money to have the property cleared but it needed to be done.  Most men would have done nothing.  It was too big a task for a man, an old one at that, to take on with no equipment and no help. There was none to do the job and each year the vines and briar's and poke weed bushes crept closer to the church. 
But I intended to fight the weeds and plant a pumpkin garden there.  I worked from September until the end of February of 2012 and had half the property cleared and I did have a pumpkin garden. 
Starting again in late September, early October I talked the second half.  It was a much tougher job and the land was littered with fallen tree trucks and limbs, left whole to rot where they lay, intertwined with vegetation, many hidden beneath the ground level due to excessive growth of low laying vines. 

I did manage to scrap up the money to purchase a small chain saw but the old wood destroyed the chain saw blades quickly.  In just a few hours a blade was so dull it was almost impossible to sharpen.  I went through 5 blades in the course of clearing the land. 

I am proud to announce as of today, the land is clear of all fallen logs and excessive growth.  There are so vines that still need to be removed and thousands of small pieces of wood, sampling stumps, and weed stems that need to be cut and removed or raked off the ground before I can plant pumpkins but the land is so close to being usable I declare victory.

There is a lesson for all to be learned from  my labors.  No matter how daunting the task and how ill equipped you seem to be to tackle it, with determination, time, and perseverance and some help and encouragement from God, you too can claim victory. 

No comments: