Sunday, February 09, 2014

Friendly barb isn't friendly to me

My son likes to take pictures at the DJ events he organizes and tonight my wife asked why he never posted pictures of his self.  Some one posted back saying "Who would want a picture of an Asian bro."
  I didn't think it was funny and I told the man so. 
   He responded by saying that he was a good friend and the person who kept my sons car in good repair. 
   I informed the fellow that any putdown no matter how well intended is hurtful.  Secondly my son was an American, not an Asian.  Thirdly, I told him that I raised my son to be a good and kind man and I was proud of him.  Then I told the guy that fixing his car made him a mechanic.  I am his father. 
    I am not his natural father but that doesn't make me less of a dad.  He is the person I choose to carry my last name.  I didn't have to settle for pot luck like most fathers do.  I got to know him before I decided to make him my son.  As far as I am concerned he is my flesh and blood.

You say he's your friend.  Then treat him with respect. 

No comments: