Monday, June 15, 2015

My experience with diet soda

   I just posted an article on the benefits of stopping the consumption of diet soda.  When I switched from regular soda to diet drinks I did not experience a weight gain nor a weight loss.  Diet soda did seem to quench my thirst better so I continued to drink it.  Now I find drinks with sugar in them are hard to swallow, including the Southern favorite sweet tea.  No thank you.
   I don't suffer from headaches nor do I consume alcohol so I won't comment on those supposed benefits.  I do have diabetes so I will go there.  I stopped drinking anything and everything except for coffee and water.  I experienced no weight loss.  I headed to the gym and walked three miles each morning and another 7 miles out of the gym and averaged 70 miles per week for a year and a half. 
   For the first 14 months my weight stayed the same but then my weight started dropping like a rock from a ten story building.   It wasn't from the benefits of the water, my better diet, nor the exercise.  The weight loss was caused by a A1C of 14 and the need to take insulin shots.  I took insulin for 3 months then went on a two kinds of pill routine afterwards.  My weight continued to increase until I decided to quit going to the gym and to go back to drinking diet drinks.  My weight has stabilized and I A1C has remained at 6. 8 for two straight  years now. 
     Of course I suffered from high cholesterol until I started eating two eggs everyday for breakfast.  The only malady I can't seem to control without medication is my Triglycerides. 
  As far as the taste of food, I can't tell a difference in how it taste while drinking diet soda and how it taste just drinking water.  Of course I limited my diet soda to one 12 oz can a day but I do drink zero calorie flavored water and Gatorade (when doing yard work). 
   I think this is one of those things that people will argue about and study until the cows come home and never come to a proper conclusion.  My experience certainly does not bear out and benefit to drinking soda without sugar and not drinking it. 

No comments: