Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Bought and paid for

I finally got my cabinets ordered but they won't be installed until February 23rd.  The windows should be installed within the next two weeks and I will prepaid for the new front door and storm door.  I am so ready for this to be over with.  Still haven't found an electrician to move the stove plug.  (It's not as easy as it looks).
  Since no one is willing to do such a minor job I thought I'd do it.  Cut the power, take the old box up and move it to a new location, buy a piece of wire to run from the existing wire to the new location, hook everything back up, turn the power on and wham, the job is done.    Of course things aren't that simple.  I was originally hoping that I could just unhook the old wire and move it to a new location.  Of course I would have to drill a new hole and plug up the old hole and maybe do a little crawling in a cold dirty basement but of course there was no extra wire.  Now I have to do a splice.  I go to the supply house.  What size wire?  I haven't a clue.  I know it's a six or eight but I don't know how to tell.  I do know a six is bigger than an eight but I have no idea why.  I have to  make a trip back home to get the instruction manual for the stove.    It's a sixty amp so it takes the number eight wire. 
   Something told me to get 4 1/2 feet of wire since I was going to move the plug four feet but I didn't.  Of course I was a half inch short.  I had to buy some caps but the only ones for size eight wire were the waterproof ones.  When I connected one end to the plugs I pulled my splice apart on the other end:  that's when I discovered the water proof plugs have a clear gel inside.  Makes it impossible to tape the splice together with electrical tape.   Make to the store I go to get some clamps to hold the wire together. 
  I get back home, complete my splice, turn the power back on and .....nothing. 
  I still need that electrician I can't find.  He has until the 22nd of February to not show up. 

No comments: