Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Stress does turn ones hair gray

  There was an article posted on the web a few days ago that said that stress does not cause ones hair to turn gray.  I've never been one to let things get to me nor have I been one to worry about my hair.  Yes, I've been slowly graying but at 69 I'm just happy to have hair.   But trying to help Mom save her money has been stressful on me, something I'm not used to.
   It's a combination of things.  Mom, 90, is in a rest home or retirement home or old folks home or whatever you want to call it; the political correct word is assisted living facility I think.  Anyway at $9000.00 per month plus $854.00 a month for medicine it won't take long to burn through her savings.  The only choice she has is to go on Medicaid but she has to turn over all her assets except for $2,000.00 and her house, if she signs a waver stating she intends to go back home.  The only way I could figure out how to legally hang on to any of her money was to do repair work and improvements to her house, which is allowed.  But, things aren't always as easy as they should be.
  The stressful part for me is to find someone to do the work when it needs to be done.  I have to get the work done in time to file for Medicaid without running out of money.  My biggest fear was hiring a bunch of people to do jobs and they all show up at the same time.  I can't have a man refinishing floors while the window people are replacing the old metal windows with new ones  while a crew is pouring concrete for the new driveway while a big bucket truck and bobcat are running all over the yard while lumberjacks swing from my trees.  Needless to say, what do I do with all the stuff in the house that had to be moved out of the rooms to be painted when the people show up to lay carpet in the other rooms. 
  I have to write checks to pay bills from an account that I do not have the legal authority to write checks on   while trying to keep the checkbook balanced without access to the account while another brother has a checkbook to the same account writing checks to pay the normal bills which I have no idea how much the checks he is writing are for al the while trying to make the money, the deadlines, the work, come out together.  Gosh, one sometimes forgets things like income tax from the annuity that was cashed out.  Did I spend to much?  Will I have to scratch the last project scheduled?  Will finding out how much the taxes are jeopardize the filing for Medicaid in time to get approved? 
   Last week when I went to see Mom she said "your hair is turning gray".  It's taken years to go from the darkest brown to light brown with a splattering of gray but just a few weeks to go from graying to  gray with  a splattering of faded brown.   I do believe that stress causes ones hair to gray.

No comments: