Thursday, January 21, 2016

Remodling frustrations

I have been unable to write in my blog due to numerous trips to Hickory trying to repair and remodel
my child hood home.  Dad died 17 years ago and Mom is legally blind and almost deaf and as the years have gone by she became less and less able to keep her house up.  She likes pretty things, clothes and objects of décor and she knows who gave her what piece and how much was paid for it and she never sold or re-gifted or threw any of the stuff out and as a result the house became a dust magnet and harder and harder to clean. 
  Most people put up one set of curtains per window but Mom has three or four sets per window and she has been unable to take them down and wash them.  Her house did not have a range hood which left a thick coat of grease on everything in the kitchen.  Except for the kitchen cabinets and the outside of the house nothing has been painted.  New wall paper was put over the old, and the carpets were almost rotten because she was unable to properly clean because of her age and eyesight.  But there were not any problems that could not be solved.
   When I started this task it was done to protect her assets.  Her cash has to be turned over because she is in a rest home and she needs to go on Medicaid so can keep only $2000.00.  She is allowed to fix up her house however so the biggest problem was the range hood.  Simple enough, I thought.  I tried hiring several companies to do the job but got no response so I finally went to Lowes. 
The range hood wasn't a problem but it seems getting cabinets has been a royal pain.  Finally yesterday I paid for the cabinets and the range hood and cabinets will be installed by February 23rd or they are supposed to be.
  I needed my fuse box changed to a circuit breaker and after failing to find an electrician to do the hob I hired a friend.  I did find an electrician to wire for the range hood but now I need the stove outlet moved and can't get a response. 
  I had three trees I need removed and it took several weeks to find a man to cut them but he didn't want to do the job until February.  I did get him out there on Thursday of last week and he finished up yesterday.  (He couldn't work Friday because of the rain and was off the weekend)  His estimate was $6000 but the job ended up costing $9500.00. 
   I wanted a driveway poured but I'm not sure if the man I hired to do the job will actually do the work.  Someone willing to work was hard to find.  One company said to call him back in February.
He was the only company I could find to talk to.  No one else would even answer their phone. 
   I really would like to get a new driveway, a new front door, and the stove plug moved so I can get mu cabinets and range hood installed. 
  The floor finisher did a good job but didn't clean up his mess when he left.  The first one I hired missed two appointments so I hired someone else.  The painters I hired did a lousy job so I fired them and I did most of the painting myself.  I can't get the vinyl floors replaced because the house was built before 1986 so I'll have to do that job myself but I will be out of time before I ca do it. 
  I have enough money left to finish what I have started if I can get people to do the job.  That has been the most frustrating part.  It would seem in this economy people would be willing to work but it just doesn't seem so. 

No comments: