Tuesday, October 18, 2016

blood sugar readings and weight

     Last week was a disaster for my weight loss goals, what with a trip to the state fair and my low blood sugar readings.  My average last week was only 105.  That normally would be a good thing but when ones blood sugar is low a person feels hungry.  When one feels hungry a person often times grabs an unhealthy snack to tide the feeling of starvation.  Something sweet will quickly rise the blood sugar level bring back the feelings of normalcy but what happens when the sugar high wears off?  One feels hungry again. 
  Of course a high blood sugar reading can leave a person feeling hungry also but its still a different kind of feeling.  A person needs to be careful with either extreme.  The secret to a healthy life, especially for a diabetic, is a steady blood sugar reading.  Not only does the quick fix to low blood sugar reading throw your body out of kilter but it leads to weight gain. 
  I woke up a few minutes ago and took my glucose readings and they were slightly elevated yet I feel like I'm about to die of starvation.  Even if I consumed a large meal I know that in an hour or less I would be hungry again.  As I understand it, when one's blood sugar drops too low at night one's body can convert fat to sugar raising one's glucose levels.  One is normally hungry in the morning so in ones mind, the feelings one has in the morning from an elevated level is similar to those when ones glucose level is depressed.  Without taking a reading it is difficult to know if ones level is too high or too low.  That's why it is so important to keep ones level's steady.  Failure to do so can lead to an unhealthy weight gain and/or other health problems.
  

No comments: