Monday, April 03, 2017

Dave Ramsey

I'm taking a Dave Ramsey financial course at church and he makes a lot of sense.  I remember the first thing I purchased on credit.  It was in the sixties before people had credit cards and I stopped in a men's clothing store in downtown Hickory, NC.  I was in need of a belt and I had a couple of dollars.  I found a really nice one but was shocked at how much it cost.  I didn't have the means to shop around and my pants were falling down.  When I told the clerk I didn't have enough money he asked me who my parents were.  When I told him he said "Just buy it on credit."  So I did.
   I stopped in every week and gave them some money.  It seemed like the payments on that belt lasted about as long as the belt did. 
  I've found that if you can afford to make credit card payments you can afford to pay cash.  You just have to save up first.  I know we really want it now but with patience you will get what you want and remain debt free.  Many credit cards carry 18 to 21 percent interest.  If you want a big screen TV that had been $1000.00 but find it on sale for $800.00 and use your credit card to purchase it you believe you made a good deal and saved yourself $200.00.  Unless you have the cash to pay that credit card off it full then you have made a bad deal.  If you make the minimum payment on that card each moth it will take about 7 years to pay for that TV and you will pay around twice the original cost.  Not such a good deal after all.   
  Dave Ramsey has lots of good ideas and not just about credit cards.  Some are about budgeting, saving, emergency funds, insurance, etc.  If you erver have the change to go through the course it is well worth the cost. 

No comments: