Monday, April 24, 2017

vegetable gardens

  I'm interested in what you are planting, if anything, for the 2017 growing season, especially vegetables   I've grown watermelons and cantaloupes successfully as well as the regularly grown vegetables but year to year success has been spotty.  One year everything drowned because of too much rain and several years I got very little because of the lack of rain.  Another year I had to replant because of a much later than  normal frost and  I have had crop failures due to it getting to hot to soon. 
  Last year I had a bountiful peach crop but all my peaches disappeared one night.  The cause remains a mystery.  I have some peaches this year but not abundantly like last years crop.  I netted my blueberries this year.  I had plenty in 2015 but last year they disappeared just like my peaches did. 
  But of everything I plant, tomatoes are my favorite/  I have not really had a good crop since I've lived here.  When I resided on Davis Country Road the land was old farm land with deep dark rich top soil and I harvested so much stuff from a 14 x 14 foot garden and I had it all from cucumbers to watermelons.  But things just don't grow in hard red clay. 
  Last year I tried beating the odds by planting in buckets but I don't think I did it right.  Just putting plants in buckets will cause the plants to get too much water the first good rain and drilling holes in the bottom of the bucket causes the water to drain out too fast.  I put plates underneath the buckets but that really didn't help all that much.  Still, I had a descent crop of tomatoes and peppers.
  I'm trying something different this year.  I fixed a place on the side of the house for a raised garden and filled it with garden soil four inches deep.  The space gets morning and evening sun but is shady
for a few hours in the afternoon.  So far the tomatoes and pepper plant seem to be growing well .  A few years back I did have success in a section near my present location.  The plants were tall with plenty of crop but the tomatoes had no flavor. The tomatoes seemed like they would never ripen but that seemed to be a common complaint among gardeners that year.     At least where I have the tomatoes this year makes watering them much easier plus weed control is much better. 
   I'm looking forward to that first tomato sandwich.  Except for one bell pepper plant, tomatoes is all I planted.  This hard red clay was hard on garden tillers and after the last one broke I decided that with the hard clay and the lousy weather, I would scale back my vegetable gardens a great deal.  As long as I get some tomatoes I'm happy.

No comments: