Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Garden News

The tomato vines are full but some of the leaves are turning yellow from to much rain.  The jalapeno pepper plant has flowers as does the squash, cantaloupe, watermelon and squash plants.  My transplants that I am trying to establish with potatoes are still green.  My glads have begun to open and all my new plants are still living but the bee balm is struggling with all this water.
  My Easter lily bloomed and my tigers lilies are beginning to open.  The pickerel bloomed this week and my water lilies that I separated are growing and one has bloomed.  Overall my gardens looked really good so far.  My only disappointment so far has been my tulips.  I had two to bloom although I had about 8 put out shoots.   I even have some of my wildflowers putting out blooms now. 
  I have actually picked about four of the little yellow tomatoes.  I have had two peach trees and one cherry tree to die and some of my peach trees are bare but some of the first time bloomers are full of peaches albeit small.  Most of my apple trees have fruit although most of the trees have cedar rust.  I spray per directions which has helped some.  I picked some blueberries this week and had blueberry pancakes for breakfast Sunday.  Boy were they good.  My blackberries are setting fruit and my grape vines are full.  My lone pear is still hanging on.  My butterfly bush finally bloomed and my crepe myrtles are filling out.  The white one has a few blooms on it.
  The Japanese beetles made their presence know last week but I sprayed with liquid Sevin dust which drove them away.  I'll have to get some more and respray when the rain quits, if it ever does.
  A few years back we had a rainy spring like this and my tomato plants drowned like many other folks's did and what few tomatoes survived to maturity tasted horrible.  I believe I had one good tasting tomato that year out of thirty plants.  I hope I have better luck this year with so many beautiful tomato plants in full production.
   The frogs have been serenading me regularly.  I had separated some water Iris and placed a bunch in a bucket for a friend and when they didn't come and get the plants I decided to plant them in the creek bed to help keep me from hitting rocks when I mow and the bucket was full of newly hatched eggs.
  I haven't seen any sign of new goldfish but it is probably to soon as they just spawned a week or so ago.  I would like to transfer them over to the big pond if I can ever get rid of the carp that is in the larger pond.  I had nine die this spring when the pumps quit working for a few days.  I sold six last year.  I have many 40 fish left.  Great starter fish for new ponds to get the nitrogen cycle going.
  I can't mow today either because of the rain.  maybe this afternoon when I get back from my doctors appointment.  
.
 

No comments: