Friday, July 14, 2017

Jim's kids and the Anchormen

 The Anchormen held a concert at Academy Street Baptist Church in Randleman last night, July 13, 2017.  The church was almost filled to capacity.
  The show was opened by Summit's Trace, a "Country Gospel" band.   The crowd was polite but it was obvious this style of music wasn't a popular choice.  It sounded very much like rock gospel because it had no beer, momma, trains, pick-up trucks, or broken hearts over girls or horses.  They only way I know it was country is because that what the band said it was.  The group even managed to insult the only female service member in attendance.
.  The Anchormen were the opposite.  The group were dressed in suits as opposed to Summit Traces casual  street clothes and they sang Southern Gospel.  The group was totally professional and thoroughly entertaining.   They delivered what the crowd came to hear.
  If you were there then you know who I am.  I was the only person in a suit and tie that wasn't an Anchorman.  Why, you may want to know, was I the only one who wore a suit?  The answer is simple.  I was in God's house and all that I did: printing and passing out mini flyers, painting the railing at the church, and sweeping the cobwebs off the front door just minutes before the first quests arrived was done with the idea of bring glory to my Lord and Savior.  I didn't see last night as only a
fundraiser event for Jim's kids but an opportunity to get a unchurched person into God's house.
  I fully recognize that almost everyone there came to be entertained and entertained we were.  But I saw an opportunity to bring glory to God's name.  We were in His house after all.  So if I am different from everyone else that is okay.  I exist not to please man but to honor God.  Now I am not saying that wearing a suit makes one any more or any less holy than another person .  It isn't about them.

No comments: