Sunday, July 02, 2017

Not for Men Only

 Some time back there was an article about saving money on shaving supplies.  I commented that coating my razor blade with baby oil after each use prolonged the blade and thereby saved me money.  Someone replied saying that could not be true but was a matter of lubrication only.  I didn't have an adequate response but I did know that without baby oil I used a blade for two weeks and using baby oil I used a blade for at least two months.  Was it just a matter of lubrication or does baby oil really extend the life of the blade?
   I have two identical razors so I laced a new blade in each.  One I packed in my travel kit and the other I put in my shower.  I purchased a 6.5 oz bottle of baby oil at the dollar store and a plastic soup holder and filled the soup holder with baby oil.  I used this razor before heading to the mountains and got a good shave and the next day I used the travel razor with the same results.  I did not use baby oil on the one in my travel kit.
   Three months later I shaved again with the razor from my travel kit and thought it would rip my face off.  A month later I coated it in baby oil and then shaved with it and while the shave was no rougher it wasn't any better either.  Meanwhile the razor I use every day is still giving me a smooth shave after 5 months.
  My conclusion is that coating a razor with baby oil extends the life of the blade.  Better yet is letting it soak in baby oil between uses.  

No comments: