Friday, July 20, 2018

Jims Kids and Vintage Church

 I attended the benefit concert for Jims Kids at Academy Street Baptist Church last night and meet a lady who attends Vintage Church,  She said they teach and preach from the bible.  I'm sure they do.    One has to be careful.  Using the correct book does not insure the lessons being taught are correct.
   I am not at all implying that a member of Vintage church is no less a Christian than I am for I have no way of knowing.  In fact, I have attended some traditional churches that swear by the King James Bible and believe they are  teaching and preaching the whole of scripture and doing it correctly yet when expounding on the old testament they always interpret it as if it was written for modern man and the church.  Often the Old Testament is ignored and sometimes scripture is misquoted or misunderstood.  So being in an old fashioned/traditional church does not make one right anymore than being from a church like Vintage make one wrong.
    My biggest concern about any church is that you are being equipped with enough truth to help you deal with everyday problems and to be able to rely upon God and not try to handle everyday situations from ones own perspective.  I find that even in well grounded churches most Christians do not have a deep abiding and trusting faith nor do they really understand how to fully embrace the Christian life yet many believe they are exactly what Christ wants them to be.  I know that I have a long way to go myself.  Even the Apostle Paul admitted his weaknesses and if he hadn't reached sinless perfection  I doubt seriously that any of the rest of us have either.
   My biggest concern is that the less you understand the expectations of Christ the easier it is for you to be lead astray.   We must not forget that Satan knows scriptures and quotes it often, misquoting it to manipulate us or misapplying it to get us to do his bidding.  As the sergeant used to say on "hill Street Bkues"  be careful out there.

No comments: