Sunday, July 22, 2018

surgery countdown

  In about 24 hours I will be out of surgery, alive I hope, and on my way to recovery.  I have a few concerns before then though.
   The instructions for most patients is a clear diet the day before surgery and nothing after midnight but my instructions are different because I am a diabetic.  I can have a normal breakfast and a light lunch.  What I am expected to pull off is to have my blood sugar high enough that I do not have complications from low blood sugar but low enough so the diabetes does not interfere with the healing process.  
  For most people this is no problem but for me this is really tricky.  Not eating will lower my blood sugar to dangerously low levels.  if I do eat I have to forgo my diabetic medication.  It doesn't make sense to eat to raise my blood sugar while taking medication to lower it.  But at a certain point I will have to forgo eating in order for my digestive tract to be clean enough for surgery.
  A problem I experienced a few years ago was that often my readings were higher in the morning than they were the night before.  I asked my doctor why and she explained that if my blood sugar drops at night my body can convert stored fat into glucose ,causing my blood sugar levels to rise.  But that doesn't always happen and sometimes a reading will just continue to get lower during the night.  If levels get too low it can be life threatening.  
  I suppose most people would be worrying about the surgery but I don't because it is necessary and worrying won't change a thing.  But planning how to work out my blood sugar levels is a bit tricky and very concerning.
  Wish me luck or better yet say a prayer for me.  

No comments: