Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Catching up on my reading

Since its bee so cold outside, I've been spending my day mostly indoors catching up on my reading. I did help the preacher lay some safety strips on the ramp at the church and took him out to lunch for his birthday but its indoors for the most part.

Even though I had a novel published and an article in Our State magazine I am not an accomplished writer. I don't have talent; just a willingness to put forth an effort. If I had half the talent as Dr. J I would be a successful writer.

My Dad was a preacher and I can understand why so many churches have what seems to be generic sermons, nice to hear and basicly biblically correct but lacking something important.

It's kind of like most people's idea of Jesus Christ: meek, mild, non confrontaional, easy going, caring, and loving. The whole truth is, He wasn't like that at all.

Can you imagine the scene at church if a visitor got up in the preacher face and told him he was a snake and a liar. Well, Jesus told the Pharasees that they were a generation of vipers and then truth wasn't in them.

What about the time Jesus told the rich man to sell all that he had or the time he told a man to let the dead bury the dead.

Being a pastor has to be a tough job because people wear their feeling on their sleeves. I don't believe in catering to people just to get them to attend church. It doesn't matter what seems right to man but what the truth of God is.

Christianity isn't a set of rules and laws but a relationship and fellowship with Jesus Christ and church is a social club but a gathering of like-minded believers who help bolster one another and to spread the word about God's plan of salvation.

See you in church Sunday.

No comments: