Friday, December 24, 2010

I survived Christmas 2010.

Business was unbelievable this year. The store Iwork in was the second busiest store in the entire chain, beaten only by Norcross in Charlotte. i was mentally beaten when I walked into work at 5 this morning, dreading having to face another day but resigned to get through it as cheerfully as possible.

I think my last customer was the one i made the happiest as she was looking for a roast of a certain size and all we had were either too small or too large. I believe she thought i would tell her to take her pick of what we had and leave her in a quardry.

If I was her and in a grocery store that is the answer I would have expected as that is the way things usually are. But instead of that, I cut her a roast to the exact size she wanted, did it cheerfully, and did it without being asked to do it. she was very happy. One lady wanted me to cut two pie4ces of link sausage into ultra thin slices and another wanted a filet cut into pieces about a quarter of the size of fondue.

Holidays can be stressful times: trying to find the right gift for that special person, picking up a last minute gift for someone you had overlooked, planning the family meal, dealing with inlaws dropping in, etc. The last thing one needs to deal with is store personel with an unpleasant attitude or unwillingness to help.

For me the Christmas eve shopping rush is over. My poor wife had to go in to deal with the rush of last minute shoppers. Don't expect much from where she works as her place of business is about saving you money. The truth is, I couldn't have done what I did today unless my employer made in possible but great coustomer service comes at a price. But don't expect to pay bottom dollar and get top dollar help.

No comments: