Sunday, January 30, 2011

Singing the Star Spangled Banner

I think I mentioned this in another post but there is again another controversy about the song. Seems a 16 year old girl has been instructed to sing the song the traditional way after some complaints and now there are cries of racism because she is black.

In my opinion, color has nothing to do with how the song is sung and accepted as okay or rejected as not okay. When the song is sung the way it is supposed to be sung it leaves me with chill bumps. When singers try to change it, especially the last line, it leaves me cold. I believe if a singer really understood the circumstances surrounding the events described in that song, they would be less likely to "make it their own" and realize it belongs to everyone.

I've heard song in there original version and it was good but a singer came along and sung it their way and not only had a hit but made a classic out of it. Other times I've heard singers take a great song, try to make it their own, and left the song as forgettable as the singer was. But singing the Star Spangled Banner isn't about changing a song so the singer will be remembered or trying to sing a version that will become unforgettable, but about honoring those who held up the flag under the tremendous bombardment by the British Naval forces and the effect that had on the war prisoners.

Change the tune if you will: just make it about the men who died and what they died for and not about you.

No comments: