Saturday, September 03, 2011

Retirement no picnic

It seems since I retired I have less time to get things done like reading, blogging, fishing, and other fun things. Of course church takes up a few hours a week plus taking care of my lawn at home as well as the church grounds keep me busy. Once a month I travel to Hickory to care for Mom and it seems there is more and more to do there. My mother-in-law hasn't been in the best of health and my wife just had foot surgery and was out of work for six weeks, four of them she could not drive so there was more for me to do there--but I enjoyed the time we had together.

I'm not a people person and I don't hear all that well either and it seems like sometimes I'm afraid of the sound of my own voice so some would think I would be an odd choice for a Deacon since the duties of a deacon is to serve. In a small church there isn't too many people to serve and one would think not much business to attend too but sometimes some really serious problems arise that needs some expert and skilled person to attend too.

Now one may think that having been a meat cutter that I would not be qualified to handle some of these problems but then I do have three degrees and I am a Mensa member so even if I can't handle the problems myself, I can recognize solutions and point the church in the proper direction to solve problems.

In the meantime I'll take care of the church facilites, cutting the grass, painting, helping with maintenace, supporting the church programs and minitries, encouraging the members and supporting the pastor. After all, it's the least anyone should do.

No comments: