Friday, April 11, 2014

Garden now planted: time for a deep freeze

I seem to have no luck with gardens.  A few years ago we had a freeze after I planted my garden even though I waited a week past the last date this area had ever recorded a freeze.  One year we had no rain so last years I planted my tomatoes in their own space so it would be easier for me to water them:  it rained so much my tomato plants drowned and all my seeds rotted. 
   Today is the eleventh of April, a week before Easter, the traditional time for me to plant my garden.  So everyone, get your blankets back out.  It's time for a deep freeze. 
   Now there are certain things like onions, beets, and lettuce that can be planted early and will easily withstand a slight frost.  Unfortunately none of them have sprouted yet even though it is supposed to be 7 to 10 days   and it has already been 14. 
  Other things are looking good.  I have several apple trees with blooms on them and about six peach trees with blooms as well as both of my Cherry trees.  My blueberries are growing and my grape vines are finally showing some buds.  My crabapple and crept myrtles are showing any signs of life yet.  I know it's too early for the myrtles.  The crabapple and the dogwood   were just recently planted and are just mere twigs and it may be too early.  I have a baby peach coming up where the one eastern yellow was that died.  I didn't plant that one so I wasn't expecting that. 
  Anyway, I hope this is going to be a good year for vegetable. 

No comments: