Sunday, September 28, 2014

Vote no instead

I know the election is still a ways off but listening to the negative campaign aids from Thom Tillis
and Kat Hagan got me to thinking about how we are given choices on the ballet.  I believe there should be one more choice given. 
   At present we can vote for no one or we can no vote for anyone but we are not allowed to vote against a particular candidate.  I think we should be allowed that option.  That way an against vote would cancel out a for vote.  A non vote to me just isn't fair because it is just that: a non-vote.  One might as well not even care but you do care.  Maybe you believe that neither  candidate is the correct one for the office.  If you can't vote against someone then those voting for hold all the power and that isn't a true democracy.  The law is supposed to allow for one person-one vote but to not vote takes away from your authority as a voter. 
   I was faced with that dilemma one election when I liked neither candidate so I had to not vote for either.  That isn't fair.  If I believe neither candidate is good then I should have the right to say so.  A vote against counts just as much as a vote for.  If both candidates receive more votes against than votes for then the parties would have to choose  another candidate.  Maybe it would make our politicians more responsible:  they not only have to prove their opponent isn't as qualified as they are but also have to prove they are worthy. 

No comments: