Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Security sorta works

Friday night I left my rock bar, a plastic cart, and my potato hoe in my trailer so I could have an early start Saturday morning when I planned on taking advantage of the cities annual mulch sale.  I needed some at the church around the trees I planted and I needed a little more at home.  With the 4-prong potato hoe it is much easier to unload the mulch than with a steel rack.  Saturday morning it was missing.
   I am meticulous about putting my tools away but I thought just once for my convenience I would leave the potato hoe out so the beeping of the shed alarm wouldn't bother my sleeping wife.  The first and only time I've left a tool out and it turns up missing.  Go figure. 
   I didn't lose much as far as monetary value as the head of the potato digger once belonged to my neighbor.  Someone set his shed on fire .and the wooden handle of the digger burned off so he just tossed what was left away.  I just happened to have a broken handle from an old tool so I put the potato digger head on my old handle and duct taped it on.  It made a useful tool which I have used for several years now.  One thing for sure, it wasn't worth the price of the penalty one would have to pay if they were caught stealing it. 
   I'm sure they didn't take the plastic cart because it would have been too big and cumbersome for a quick grab and run theft.  The thing of value was the rock bar but it was black and was in a black trailer at night and mostly covered by the tarp.    I'm sure if given a choice most people would much rather have had the rock bar, especially if they were taking something to sell.  The potato digger is virtually worthless. 
   I'm not sure what would have been taken if I didn't have a security system.  My shed is wired with an alarm system as is my house.  I also have motion sensory lights on the front porch and back porch as well as on the driveway side of the shed.  I would like to think the motion sensor lights would have come on and frightened the thief away (but only after the thief took my potato digger). 

No comments: