Tuesday, October 21, 2014

what is fair isn't always fair.

what is fair isn't always fair. Strange headline I know but it is true.  Here is the situation.  Mom is almost blind and deft and has become feeble in the past few weeks that it has become obvious she can no longer take care of herself.  Mom has three sons, one lives in Georgia, one in South Carolina and one in Randleman.  Mom lives in Hickory. 
   My younger brother is a businessman and has made a lot of money .  Even though he is retired, he is still working full time.  My older brother is a plant manager for a large manufacturing plant and makes a descent salary.  He also draws social security.  My one sister-in-law, my younger brothers wife is also an accountant and she still works. 
   I'm retired and do not work and my wife is disabled.  We have always been just plain ole working stiffs, church going people who support their church to the tune of at least 15% of their income and sometimes to to 20%.  Honestly if we didn't give we would have never made it.  Seriously.
   Anyway, Mom will have to either have an in home care giver or go into a rest home.  If she takes the second offer then my younger brother has purposed three solutions, the first two are out of the realm of possibilities.  The third is doable and fair.  We float a loan, split the downpayent three ways and well as the monthly payment  it seems fair anyway.  Except for one thing.  I'm the only one who doesn't work and the only one who lives close enough to take care of the house.  Afterall, the assests have to be liquidated or disposed of, the house cleaned and the repair work completed. 
  Yea, it would be nice to split the cost three ways then have just one brother do all the physical labor but that isn't fair, is it/ 

No comments: