Saturday, October 04, 2014

Sold out but disappointed

    One might not think it strange that a free concert was booked solid but just because it is free doesn't mean people will take advantage of it.  I learned that when our church had a few hot dog supper for the community and no one came.  The truth is we could have sold a lot more than we gave away.  Anyway, David Jeremiah had a free  service at the coliseum Thursday and I enjoy David Jeremiah.  I heard him speak live in Myrtle beach at the annual "Singing at the Beach' a few years back and I still remember his message.  But Thursday night was a night to forget, for sure. 
 
   I believe music should always honor God and reflects His truths.  I am not about to speak for God and even propose what type of music God likes to listen too but I have never seen drums listed among the instruments used to praise God in the scriptures.  One song claimed that the singer was God's friend because god was his.  Friendship implies equality and I just don't feel comfortable equating myself with God. God is my creator and the bible instructs us to fear God and tells us plainly to fear Him who can take both body and soul.  Oh I know there is a hymn that says "Oh what a friend we have in Jesus" and I love that him.  The difference is that hymn isn't putting us on an equal footing with God but giving God the glory for all the wonderful things that Jesus did for us when He died upon the cross for our sins.  The song does not imply that the singer and God are best buddies. 
  
     The music I suffered through because I came to hear a message from God and to give praise to Him but instead the sermon was nothing more than a book promotional speech.  Yea, I purchased a book because it was on a topic I was interested in and I had looked into buying the book earlier but at $39.95 for the book from Amazon I thought I could find equally as good a resource at a much better price.  At the meeting I purchased the book for $20.00 while the music was going on. 

   What I did enjoy was the Fellowship meeting last night.  It was in Albemarle which was a long lonely drive through the countryside in the piedmont of North Carolina and the preachers there were pastors of small churches for sure.  No one there will ever pastor a mega church or even draw a crowd at a free event but then again they are preaching the word of God and not trying to sell books. 
There is no compromising on the translation of the bible they use, on the type of music that is sung, and no personal agenda to be promoted.  They don't talk about their wife and kids or brag about what ministries they are involved in.  They just preach the gospel.

   There was one preacher there from Kenya who oversees 7 churches and several different programs and only receives support of $250.00 a month.  I would much rather support him than David Jeremiah. 
   Don't get me wrong.  I am not putting down David Jeremiah or his ministry.  If one can reach people and allow God to save their souls then they have my support.  I'm not disappointed and non supportive of the ministry of David Jeremiah: I'm just disappointed that the opportunity to inspired thousands of Christians was used a a promotional opportunity for his new book. 

No comments: