Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Surviving retirement

  Yeah, I'm one of those who rely on Social Security for the majority of my income  and my house isn't paid for.  No, I don't work.  But so far retirement has been a pleasure even though I can't take those extended vacations.  Sometimes I feel envious of my friend Dave and his wife Chris.  They have traveled up and down the east coast for 10 years now living in their RV and making friends and seeing many places.  But to be honest I'm satisfied with my life. 
   Boredom is not a problem by any means and so far each year has been different.  Actually my house payment is cheaper than the little duplex I was renting a few years back so making the payments isn't a serious burden.  The first few years after I purchased my house I busied myself in landscaping and gardening and the last four years I have worked at the church clearing land, mowing and doing what needed to be done around the church.  For two years I took care of Mom, doing her lawn, repairing her house and doing her shopping as well as helping take my mother-in-law to her doctor appointments.  For sure those activities kept me busy. 
    Well my wife's mom passed away earlier this year and there isn't much landscaping to be done here anymore:  it's just a matter of maintaining.  There is still plenty to do around the church and my mom needs a little more care now than she had.  My wife and I are both veterans so we get good care through the VA. 
  So far I am doing  what I want to do and even though I am one of those living near poverty I still give about 15% of my income away (sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less).  I can say that I am happy, healthy, and satisfied with how my life is going.   

No comments: