Friday, August 28, 2015

Gardening News

I still have a couple of watermelons that look good enough to eat, albeit, they are small but the end of season melons have been better this years although last years crop was sweeter and the melons were two to three times as large.  I took down my tomato garden and pulled all the green tomatoes off the vines in the plants I set out in the melon garden. 
  I canned 12 pints of green tomatoes and hot peppers.  Some jars I used Anaheim peppers, some jalapeno peppers, and others I used a hot pepper a friend gave me.  Not quite sure what kind they are.  I changed my formula this year and added a little sugar to the batches at my Mom's suggestion. 
  I didn't replant anything this year but I seldom ever do.  I did pull up an apple tree yesterday.  It seems the truck was decaying below ground level, maybe from insects. 
  I finally see some red clover growing in my peach orchard.  It's not really an orchard: just 8 trees planted together but I'm not sure how many peach trees it takes to make an orchard so I'll call my little group an orchard unless someone objects.  Anyway, clover is supposed to add nutrients to the soil that the peach trees need and the clover should help control weed growth as well. 
  I just can't hardly wait until next year.  I should have a good crop of berries, cherries, and peaches  and maybe even an apple or two. 

No comments: