Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Road Trip

     I used to dread going to Hickory every month because of the cost of gas.  It was about 240 miles round trip, gas was $3.00 or more a gallon and my vehicle got 21 miles per gallon on a good day.  The only thing that made the trip tolerable was seeing my mother but the trip wasn't a social call.  I took her grocery shopping, to the bank, out to lunch, and did yard work and repair work while I was there with little, if any, time for socializing. 
    Mom is now in a convalescence home and I still drive to Hickory and I still do all her yard work.  I don't get to take her grocery shopping anymore but I have been working hard trying to help her find a way to pay for the home.  I manage to spend a couple hours with her and I do go once a week, at least.  When she was in the hospital I went three or four times a week.  She is doing much better now and may get to go home if the doctors can find the solution to her last infection. 
  She is the delight of the nursing home.  Most residents are sad, lonely people who have either given up on life or life has given up on them but Mom, at ninety, is the most cheerful person there and her therapist says Mom is the hardest worker That is what a strong faith in Jesus will do for a person. 
   If one thinks that going to church is the same thing as having faith in Jesus then they don't really know Jesus.  He isn't a religion but a person.  There will be Pope's and bishop's and priests and preachers and youth pastors and song directors and Sunday School teachers and pillars of the church and winners of attendance awards and heads of committees and all sort of church people in hell.  Salvation isn't in what one does but who Jesus is.   Mom knows. 

No comments: