Wednesday, April 25, 2018

prostrate Biopsy

   Monday, April 23, 2018 at 2 pm I had an appointment for a prostrate biopsy.  It was 2:40 when I was called to go back.  First thing was a urine test then the nurse had me fill out a questionnaire and then described what I was going to go through. Before disrobing I was given a hinny shot of antibiotics.  The needle was long and the syringe was a big fat tube and it seemed like the nurse had to push forever to empty the contents into me.  There was just the initial  sting when the needle was first inserted but it wasn't all that unpleasant.
   Afterwards I disrobed and place a paper sheet over me the laid on my left side with my butt hanging slightly off the exam table.  I was administered a numbing gel which I have no idea what was numbed.  A scope was inserted in me and was twisted around in circles.  I saw the nurse hand the doctor this big plastic tube, bright green.  It reminded me of the color of  a cheap water pistol.  It seemed to me it was about eight inches long and about two inches in diameter.  It help a spring, a triggering mechanism, and a long needle.  When the trigger was pulled the needle sprang forward with a loud click.
  I believe the trigger was pulled about a dozen times, then I was told to lay on my back for about five minutes.  The entire procedure lasted about 10 minutes (counting from the time the doctor came into the room and I was allowed to leave.  It took a few minutes to check out and after I left it took another 35 minutes to drive home.  It was about four o'clock when I walked in the door.
 I was returning to normalcy by that time and I felt as if I had had a firecracker exploded in my butt and then my butthole set on fire for a couple of seconds.  standing up was unpleasant and sitting down was done with caution and discomfort, to put it mildly.  I had taken an extra soaker pad from the doctors office and stuffed in my underwear and I'm glad I did ; otherwise I might have ruined a pair of pants and my car seat.
   When I go to the bathroom my urine is initially pink and I was told that for ne next month or so my sperm will be pink.
  I was less sore on Tuesday and so far I fell normal today.  I just have to be careful not to strain myself or the bleeding could increase.  I kept one bit of information from the doctor and that is the medicine I'm taking for my AMD which is a  cancer drug that prevents blood from clotting so cancer cells can't multiple.  I don't have cancer but I do have AMD (adult related muscular degeneration)   or bleeding behind the eye.  That medication can affect my ability to stop bleeding from surgical procedures.


No comments: