Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Walmart steps up battle with Amazon

How you feel about Walmart is your business but I am personally not a fan.  I do like Amazon.com though.  Walmart says it allows customer to pickup and return items ordered on line at a store.  Big Whoop.  If I wanted to go to Walmart I wouldn't be shopping on line.  I live in  a small town so I either go to Walmart, go to a larger city or shop on line.
   I'm not going to order my toothpaste, mouthwash, or morning glory seeds on line so I will make that trip to Walmart for those kind of items.  For just about everything else, there is Amazon.  They drop things off at my house and if the item isn't what it should be then I ask for a return label print it off and ship the package back.  I don't have to make a special trip.  There are plenty of drop off points on my way to just about any where I'm going.  Walmart acts like they are doing me a favor by letting me pick an item up at their store but they are making me drive to a location to retrieve a package so they don't have to pay an outside carrier to deliver the package and as a way to get me to buy something else while I'm there.
  The place I would have to go to retrieve a package is conveniently located in the back of the store.  To return an item one has to get in a usually long line.  No thanks.  I go to the gym every other day and to the swimming pool on alternative days and there are drop off boxes near each location, each much closer to me than Walmart.
  There is one company that should have been Amazon and that is Sears.  It started off as a mail order company almost from the beginning.  It could have been an easy transition for them to switch from catalog sales to an e-commerce business but they had their head stuck up their own rear and missed a golden opportunity.  Walmart wants to dictate to us how we shop and to me have proven to be a greedy uncaring company.  They don't care about their employees or the communities in which they are located.  Walmart is going to have to change more than their website before they gain me as a customer.

No comments: