Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Diabetes, weight loss, and prostate cancer

  My last three A1c screening were disturbing: 9.6, 8.4, and then back to 9.6.  The average healthy person has an A1c of around 5.  I was taking Metformin, glipizide, and insulin.  The doctor dropped insulin and added Invokana and when that didn't help wanted to put me on Humolog.  I thought to myself, this is unacceptable.
  Even though I had been losing weight I diabetes was out of control.  I exercise regularly and thought I was doing what I was supposed to do.  Then I realized my problem.  A healthy diet isn't just about eating the correct number of calories and getting proper nutrition.  For a diabetic it's also about controlling spikes in blood sugar.  One side affect of failing to control ones diabetes is high triglycerides.  Why my total cholesterol was low, my good was acceptable as was my bad, my  triglycerides was extremely high.  What's really sad is I take medicine to keep it within proper range but it's still out of control.
  I decided enough was enough.  It is more than necessary to control what I eat as well as how much.
I have stopped taking the Invokana , never took the humolog, and my average blood sugar reading before breakfast has dropped from over 200 to 90.  And just as good, my blood sugar spikes, which once jumped into the 4 and five hundreds has stabilized as less than 125, except once.  My wife has some dilly bars and I ate a couple bites of one.  My blood sugar spiked to 180.  That's not unacceptable but that's not what I want to accomplish.
  As far as weight loss, I've dropped 20 pounds so far.  I'm halfway to my goal and I'm making steady progress.
  Oh yea, the other thing.  I just got the news.  It's not all bad.  It's non life threatening for now and it's treatable.  I am also a Vietnam Vet who was boots-on-the-ground so I get some help.  I should because chances are good that being in Nam gave me my health problems to begin with.  My weight gain is a side effect of the medications I take.  It's really difficult for me to lose weight because my medicine leaves me with a hungry feeling 24/7.  I've gone to a buffet, eaten until I'm full, and still feel hungry.  But I'm winning the battle of the bulge, getting my blood sugar under control, and I'll beat the prostate cancer too.  

No comments: