Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mothers Day and the Zoo

  Instead of buying my wife a bouquet of flowers and dinner for Mother's day or Valentines Day, I try to find a way to make the day last forever, or at least a very long time.  I started by planting her a rose bush and now I have six.  I made her a rock garden and placed a statue of an angel in the center as a memorial to her mother since her mother was fond of angels.
   This year i celebrated her days by building her a butterfly garden.  I made a list of flowers and plants that are attractive to butterflies and purchased some of those plants at the spring plant sale at the NC Zoo at Asheboro.  I snagged 11 plants for only $42.00,  Seven of those plants were   strictly for the butterfly garden.  Three were for a hanging basket and the other one was for our water feature.    Neither the water feature or the butterfly garden is impressive now but once the plants fill out and multiply it is going to be very attractive to butterflies and to us.  It may take a year or two to live up to it's potential.  I already had a butterfly bush and a phlox garden as well as some Milk Weed, which I purchased last year at the Zoo plant sale.  Last year my butterfly bush, planted at the front of the house, was covered in butterflies for much of the summer.
   Milk weed is supposedly the only plant that Monarch butterflies will land on.  That may well be why we just don't see them around here.  They look much healthier this year than when I planted them and are beginning to multiply.  They have an orange flower on them.
  I'm not suggesting that you plant your Mom a flower garden because she may not want one for various reasons.  That's just what I do and my wife likes the idea.  If you really want to honor your Mom on mother's day take her to church and just spend some time with her.  The bible tells us to honor our Mother's and we will live long.  There is a big difference between saying "I love you", just showing respect, and really honoring your Mother so don't think you are fulfilling the commandment just because you call her now and then, stop by once in a while and buy her some flowers and/or a card on Mothers Day.
   I don't care if she is the meanest, most hateful, or undeserving Mother in the world.  God says we are to honor her.  do you know more than God?

No comments: