Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I actually shopped at Wal*Mart

Wal*Mart has great prices, lousy customer service, and bad benefits for employees (which, I admit, may still be better than what the Mom and Pops stores could have afforded to offer). Still, I have resisted shopping there for items I could get elsewhere, especially if shopping locally (from local vendors) was a viable option. But sometimes one just feels like they are being used and enough is enough.

It's not necessarily the fault of local retailers but sometimes operating at a loss is a necessary evil and I'm rather tired of being the one that costs get passed on to. The state wants to raise my taxes, airlines want to charge extra fees, employers want to reduce hours, and manufactures want to pass along cost increases or revenue declines to me.

What I purchased was fish food. I have a backyard water garden with a few fish in the pond. I have been buying Blue Ridge Koi food for years for three reasons. It is a quality food at a reasonable price, I have to shop local pet stores to get it, and it is made in Kernersville. Last year I bought the stuff at Williams Hardware for $7.95 for a three pound bag. I have seen it at other stores for that price to a dollar less but Williams was local. I went in to get some the other day and they wanted $10.99 for the three pound bag. I checked other retailers and found the food for $11.99 a bag.

I'm sure sales are down so the supplier is trying to stay in business at my expenses. I'm sorry but enough is enough. I purchased a 5 pound bag of Wardleys Koi food for $12.86 at Wal*Mart. Sorry guys, but I have to survive too.

Talking about surviving. The stock market fell from 12,000 to around 6,000 and many people lost a lot of money, including myself. But I stuck it out by continually telling myself I'm buying more stock at a cheaper price. My gamble payed off. At 9,000 I have recovered all my money and then some. Yea.

No comments: