Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Can we win in Afganastan?

I'm no an advocate of the n-bomb although I believe we made the correct decision in WWII. I want to make this clear from the get-go. I am a veteran of foreign wars so I have offered up my life for my country sp I have more than a patriotic stake in this matter. I fought on land, in the air and at sea, behind the lines in tech support and at the front with weapon in hand. I believe I have a right to speak- a right I have earned.

Vietnam was lost for two reasons. One was we didn't have acheivable objectives and , two, we didn't fight in the proper manner. Our trouble in the middle east is we just don't know when to quit. In Afganistan, our objective was to topple the Taliban government and in Iraq, it was to topple Sadaa Hussein. We accomplished both objectives quickly. We should have just left when the ovjective was acheived.

If Sadaam retook the seat of government or the taliban moved back into leadership, we could have gone back in and kicked their ass out again. And we could do this forever. No, we just don't have enough sense to do this. We just had to go into the tiger's cage, slap it upside the head, and then go about cleaning up the mess the tiger had made, stopping only to slap the tiger in the face ever now and then. In the end, who is going to win this fight?

In wars like these, one cannot win just by kicking the ass of the enemy: one has to also win over their hearts and minds.

No comments: