Tuesday, November 03, 2009

My Dental Experience

I spent Friday night in extreme pain as the left side of my mouth throbbed to the point of causing me to experience insanity. Saturday, while at work, I contacted my dentist who agreed to see me immediately.

He took an ex ray or two, poked and prodded, and then gave me some antibiotics and a prescription for more plus one for pain pills. There was nothing he could do for me until the swelling subsided some. I floated for a while at work and seemed not to care that I could only see out of my right eye as my left one had swollen shut. The pain subsided Monday but the swelling did not but Bo at Amplifo, where I had a hearing appointment, was kind enough not to notice or to say anything if he did.

I was relieved that the puffiness had left me when I awoke Tuesday morning and I tried not to think of my dental appointment scheduled at the end of my work day. I was thirty minutes early and within ten minutes I was back in the dental chair. The dental assistant administered the numbing gel and a few minutes later the dentist administered what was supposed to be the numbing shot, except it wasn't--numbing that is. So he tried again. That didn't do it either so he tried the third time with a different numbing agent. It tasted bitter.

The dentist grabbed my tooth with the tooth pulling tool and asked "Does this hurt?"

My body stiffened, my back arched, and my head went back as nature would allow as I exclaimed "yes" as loudly and clearly as one could with only half a functioning face. He yanked the tooth out anyway.

No comments: