Sunday, June 20, 2010

The changing of the seasons

June 20th is the last day of spring and the first day of summer. June 21st will be the first full day of summer but the 20th is the first day.

This spring has brought much rain, plenty of vines on cucumbers, watermelons, cataloupes, pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes. In my garden, I have been picking tomatoes for 2 weeks, cucumbers for over a week, and have cataloupes the size of, well, cataloupes. My first watermelons appeared on the vines today even though the vines strength like forever.

Blackberries, one of my favorite things to eat, are plentiful this year and early. I've already picked three quarts and the crop hasn't really began to turn from red to black yet.

I always thought that a blackberyy was a blackberry was a blackberry except, of clourse, for the blackberry that is a dew berry but it turns out there are more than one kind of blackberry just like there are more than one variety of just about everything else, including people.

No comments: