Sunday, October 09, 2011

Right as rain

My son contacted me via facebook and told me my niece, whom I haven't seen it sixteen years, was wondering if it would be okay if she contacted me. I said yes and after a few e-mails we set up a date to meet.

I have suffered a lot of heartache and pain from her family which has made me standoffish about people. I seldom let myself get close to people now. A good example would be like this gentleman that starting coming to the church. He's 78
and very lonely since his wife passed away. I took it upon myself to always chat with him and even went to visit him once. We would talk on the phone at least once a week and I took the associate pastor with me once to visit him.

When he came to church he would always look to see if I was there. Once, the pastor and I were together doing some church business and stooped by his house to see if he wanted to join us for breakfast. It turned out the preacher and he had a lot of aquaintences in common and we talked for hours.

The church was going to elect new trustees and the preacher and I were talking about possibilities and I suggested him, except he wasn't a church member. He was contacted about the situation. He hasn't been back to church since nor has he contacted me. He now goes to church somewhere else.

It's hurtful when you reach out to help someone with their problems and want to be their friend but they can't find it within themselves to be honest with you.

Anyway, I took my wife with me when I meet my niece for lunch and we had a nice time talking. I have to admit I made no effort to clean up. I needed a shave and I wore the clothes I had been wearing while working in the yard. I figured there wasn't any use making an effort to impress her when her family has had years to poison her against me. Still, I did pick up the check for her meal and that of her son.

She asked me about some videos I had made when she was young and I informed her I still had one or two left. I emailed her about the tapes but I haven't heard from her in almost two weeks since we meet.

it hurts too much too care.

No comments: