Friday, December 28, 2012

The state of being poor

Being poor isn't always a bad thing.  I've worked hard, made the best decisions I could make and used my resources wisely.  I make do with what I have, take care of my processions and live an honest life, giving of what little I have to those that have not. 

My house is neat, my yard well maintained and my trees were all started from seed except my cherry trees and three  peach trees. 

The advantage of being poor is take I know how to live with little and I value what little I have.  I just don't understand those that have little but show no respect for their meager possessions.  Why does one live in a trashy yard in a house in disrepair?  I know some are too poor and cannot afford to fix some things around their home but with some planning and thought things can be accomplished. 

My Mom had a handyman whom she paid well and one of his jobs was to keep her gutters clean.  He did clean them out twice a year but he might as well not to have bothered.  He needed to have cleaned them as often as they needed it.  As a result of his negligence the boards behind the gutters have rotted out and allowing the water to seep along the rafters and drip into a bedroom and the living room.  Mom is disabled, legally blind and hard of hearing and is now able to walk outside and inspect her property.

If Mom were rich she would have a more capable handyman and would have been taken better care of.  I do the best I can for her now but I live so far away and i am among the poor myself.  She has one son who is wealthy but thinks of himself and offers no help to her. 

But even in her condition, her house is neat and clean and her yard is well kept.  Being poor, blind,  crippled, and old is no excuse for being lazy and nasty.    

No comments: